[HOT] ideas on creating a dedicated server for Philippine topomap rectification

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 04:33:37 GMT 2011

Hi,

This is Maning from the Philippines.  Last year we had a HOT
activation as a response to flooding in Northern Philippines [1].
Part of what we did is to rectify several 1:50k  and 1:250K old
topographic maps which were hosted in NYPL's Relief Map Warper [2]
[3].  Moreover, Schuyler Earl provided another WMS for the same set of
maps in the telascience [4].  He used a really cool script to quickly
rectify the maps using the four corners.

One group saw the initiative and is interested to donate thousands of
un-rectified topographic maps in their collection.  What I intend to
do is to crowdsource the rectification.  Once rectified, we intend to
create a separate public tms/wms for anyone to use. On my end I intend
to use them for any future HOT activation in the country and OSM
editing.

I asked Tim (developer of the Map Warper) if we can upload more topos
in NYPL, but the existing service have very limited disk space.  I'm
asking the group for help in creating a dedicated webservice to upload
and crowdsource the rectification of the maps.  I can maintain the
service in the long term and hopefully encourage other data holders to
provide more scanned topos.

Any ideas on how to do this is very much appreciated.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines_Tropical_Storm_2010
[2] http://maps.nypl.org/relief/layers/12
[3] http://maps.nypl.org/relief/layers/13
[4] http://hyperquad.telascience.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/data/sderle/ph50k/ph50k.map&FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=ph50k&