[HOT] HOT for humanitarian organizations

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Feb 22 09:45:57 GMT 2011

Hi.
I read through this lists archive, tried to figure out from wiki and
blog, but one thing is missing for me, yet:
What should be the role of humanitarian organisations in relation to HOT?

At my university there is a project group within the computer science
departement called MUTTI. MUTTI is an acronym for "Multi-User-Table for
Tangible Interaction". This group (I hope I can join them in the next
weeks) is developing a big touch table for the THW (Technisches
Hilfswerk), the national German organization for technical support at
humanitarian crises all over the world.

Inside of the table a mapnik rendering stack works to render an OSM map.
The application on top of that allows to use this map for the work of
the organization: calculating best routes for water pipelines, places
for helipads etc.

I'm not yet part of the team, but I would like to figure out before
starting how we or the THW respectively take part at the HOT approach
besides being pure map consumers?

Currently AFAIK there is a oneway toolchain of MUTTI only consuming OSM
data, I would like to propose for the next year of the project group a
backwards channel to enable MUTTI to contribute back to OSM.
Is there anything to follow especially within the HOT activity?
etc.
Are there ideas how humanitarian organizations can contribute further
than to fill out questionaires and to work out a mapping sheet to map
their own datasets to OSM tagging?

regards
Peter Wendorff