[HOT] HOT for humanitarian organizations

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Tue Feb 22 10:58:30 GMT 2011

Le 22/02/2011 10:45, Peter Wendorff a écrit :
> Hi.
> I read through this lists archive, tried to figure out from wiki and
> blog, but one thing is missing for me, yet:
> What should be the role of humanitarian organisations in relation to HOT?
>
> At my university there is a project group within the computer science
> departement called MUTTI. MUTTI is an acronym for "Multi-User-Table for
> Tangible Interaction". This group (I hope I can join them in the next
> weeks) is developing a big touch table for the THW (Technisches
> Hilfswerk), the national German organization for technical support at
> humanitarian crises all over the world.
>
> Inside of the table a mapnik rendering stack works to render an OSM map.
> The application on top of that allows to use this map for the work of
> the organization: calculating best routes for water pipelines, places
> for helipads etc.
>
> I'm not yet part of the team, but I would like to figure out before
> starting how we or the THW respectively take part at the HOT approach
> besides being pure map consumers?
>
> Currently AFAIK there is a oneway toolchain of MUTTI only consuming OSM
> data, I would like to propose for the next year of the project group a
> backwards channel to enable MUTTI to contribute back to OSM.
> Is there anything to follow especially within the HOT activity?
> etc.
> Are there ideas how humanitarian organizations can contribute further
> than to fill out questionaires and to work out a mapping sheet to map
> their own datasets to OSM tagging?
>
> regards
> Peter Wendorff

Hi Peter,

This is very interesting, and potentially very valuable (both for THW
and for OSM).

Input from MUTTI, and maybe THW, could indeed be very valuable.

Especially for prevention. For example, there is an experimental
collaboration between OSM and firefighters department / local
collectivities in South Eastern France, where they plan on importing
relevant equipments, like fire hydrants.

My guess is that it could be interesting for THW to have relevant data
for them in OSM before disasters, if possible. Maybe working with the
local OSM user groups in Germany.

If datasets are available, discussing imports, eg on the relevant list,
might also be useful.

Closer to MUTTI, in time of crisis, ways to interact with the OSM
community in "real-time" might be useful. Like specifying where the map
needs to be improved, and what features are needed, for example.

I don't know whether MUTTI includes a mapping capacity, but if it were
possible to send deployed helipads, water pipelines, field hospitals, or
traffic obstacles for example, into OSM, this might be a nice way to
share data (as it was for Haiti earthquake response, where OSM was
hailed as a "data warehouse").

These are just first thoughts that come to mind.

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem

- --
Jean-Guilhem