[HOT] HOT for humanitarian organizations

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Feb 22 14:45:09 GMT 2011

Hi Nicholas.
I hope, it's okay for you that I copy your message into the mailing list
(see below).

As far as I know there is a mapnik stack working in the current table
serving tiles for a C#/.NET-Application
Computing power seems to be a smaller problem than communication bandwidth.

What I'm currently not sure is this magic HOT Data Model.
I read something about it, but I don't completely figure out, why it exists:
Is it a more or less simple mapping of "standard" OSM features to the
features humanitarian communities use internally?
Or is it a kind of parallel tagging scheme for crisis mapping?

Is there more "organization" done by HOT than organizing aerials,
calling mappers worldwide and organizing some ground-mapping if possible?
Is there any "fast proposal" process for features seldom tagged in
"normal" situations - e.g. water heights, temporal stuff like broken
pipelines, work to be done etc.?

I don't completely figured out yet, how HOT works beside of applying a
mailing list announcing areas with higher need of accurate, current
mapping and in organizing aerial imagery.

The technical side will not be our problem: Multi-Touch is already
supported by the MUTTI software, map display and map annotations are
supported, too.
Mapnik is used as a renderer (with custom stylesheets, I think).

regards
Peter