[HOT] Christchurch earthquake - what can on the ground OSM mappers do?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 15:51:51 GMT 2011

> I'm not sure whether that's the reason the ushahidi instance has not made the
> switch ( http://eq.org.nz/ )  or if they just didn't think about it.

I chatted with the dev on this site yesterday. Turns out they're not using OSM
because the lag time to load OSM tiles in New Zealand is extremely long, and the
Google tiles are being hosted nearby in Austraila.

They did want to use OSM, he was even an attendee at SOTM, but the load time is
an issue.

> (Someone should hack the layers set-up of ushahidi so that even if defaulting
>
> google, it will at least default to also having OSM as an alternative layer
> behind the '+' icon)

I helped set this up for the Kenyan Referendum monitoring site. Agree it's not
very hard stuff at all. eq.org.nz is a hosted crowdmap instance though, which
means this can't be changed easily.