[HOT] Christchurch earthquake - what can on the ground OSM mappers do?

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 14:59:54 GMT 2011

To answer your question I've added some suggestions for people in Christchurch
here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2011_Christchurch_earthquake#On-the-ground
Is that what you mean by "on-the-ground"?

I don't think we've received any requests for on-the-ground OSM technical
assistance.

As far as mapping goes, I think the (rather boring) priority is to survey street
names in the north of the city. The few remaining areas of missing names there,
are the only legitimate reason why anyone might prefer google maps over ours at
the moment.

I'm not sure whether that's the reason the ushahidi instance has not made the
switch ( http://eq.org.nz/ )  or if they just didn't think about it.

(Someone should hack the layers set-up of ushahidi so that even if defaulting to
google, it will at least default to also having OSM as an alternative layer
behind the '+' icon)

Harry Wood