[HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script

Claudius Henrichs claudius.h at gmx.de
Sun Feb 27 12:39:24 GMT 2011

Hi there HOT team,
I recently got in touch with a fellow mapper who had added "Tripoli" to
the name-tag in addition to the local used arabic script during his
participation in his H.O.T. remote mapping efforts. His argument was
that he like many others who want to help can't read arabic and many
other tools like emergency frameworks rely on the mapnik rendering.
The first point (illiteration in certain scripts of the world) probably
applies to 40% (just a guess) of populated surface of the earth so I
guess this questio is quite relevant. I would like to get some insight
on the second point he made. Maybe you can shed some light on this:

1) Do emergency relief organistions rely on the default Mapnik rendering?
2) Are there frameworks in place to help them quickly generate
English-labelled maps of a certain area or even better bilingual ones?
3) What's the general recommendation you give for HOT mapping efforts
regardings the main name-tag?

I don't want to see the naming efforts of the Iranian mapping community
being countered by some well-intended addition of English names once we
have the next earthquake there. I think no one
wants to rename a chinese province affected by the next flooding for the
same reason.

Maybe I can convince german community member Stephan Knauss to join the
HOT team as he set up great bilingual maps like
http://thaimap.osm-tools.org or http://iran.osm-tools.org

Regards,
Claudius