[HOT] Fwd: [CrisisMappers] Egypt + Tunisia + Jordan + ?

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:51:56 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:40 AM, nicolas chavent
<nicolas.chavent at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there-
>
> I found the below thread in Crisis Mappers about Egypt and Tunisia and
> mapping political crisis interesting.
> On our side, I think that the answer is just supporting the continuation of
> the OSM project in those territories with as always the question about the
> level of resources we can invest in this.

It would be a shame if we didn't devote significant effort to improving OSM
coverage, given the outstanding Bing imagery.  Let's support our OSM mappers
there. (and hope they are safe!)

> Most of the reported actions happening in the heart of the major cities
> this can lead to improving the mapping of those cities.

Cairo is already mapped quite good.  The slum areas not as well, but Midan
Tahrir is good... good enough and really can only be improved with on the
ground mapping. (POIs, etc.)

> It's unlikely that our classic outreach actions towards vector data will be
> successful to bring in good open vector data, perhaps we can get more luck
> with Spot on imagery if yahoo and bing can be complemented.

I don't think Spot will be that helpful beyond what we have with Bing.
Everywhere I've checked, medium-size and smaller cities throughout Egypt
have great Bing imagery.

-Katie

Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com