[HOT] Japan - Request for mission details

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:29:58 GMT 2011

All-

Thanks to all those who contributed to the thread, a couple of inputs

Post imagery: unclear at this stage what will come out from the contacts HOT
has with imagery providers.
* Spot image (unclear how many, if pre or post disaster) shall be made
available for OSM via the Charter by UNOSAT.
* Not sure about the other providerd

Tagging scheme
We definitively need disaster/post disaster mapping tags. Great if we can
enhance the HDM
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model>with
a specific section dedicated to disaster tags. Inputs for this can
* be schemas from actors of this field mainly UNOSAT/WorldBank/Joint
Research Centre of the European Union as well as other entities active in
this field (ITHACA, SERTIT) as well as Japanese entities specialized in this
* osm tags emerging from past activations in similar types of disaster
(Haiti, Chile) and from Japan
* sources of the information will be important for the re-usability of OSM
data by the above actors for remote and on the ground mapping

Features to map
I think most is covered here and more will come as needs will keep emerging
and others more experienced with this specific type of crisis mapping will
contribute

Particularly key are
* transportation and obstacles/ damages on transportation network; 2 HDM
tags can be reused there
**
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model#Practicability
**
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model#Operational_status
* emergency response infrastructure to detail

Floodings
* this is an information generated through imagery analysis so it would be
secondary to me or traced & measured on the ground help the analysis
Building damages
* this is an important info, hard to depict without high res, and even from
direct survey on the ground in the case of damaged buildings, surely an info
that need to be furhter cross checked through structural analyis

Ciao
Nicolas

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team