[HOT] Japan - Request for mission details

Matthias Meißer digi_c at arcor.de
Mon Mar 14 12:37:17 GMT 2011

Thanks for all your answers.

I guess what Peter said is quite the problem the most mappers have cause
they aren't focuesed by HOT for now.

Am 14.03.2011 13:19, schrieb Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists):
> The list in Peter's post above actually says what the tags might logically
> be. E.g.  Building=collapsed, bridge=collapsed, bridge=temporary,
> amenity=drinking_water, emergency=missing_persons, earthquake=yes......  you
> get the idea.

That sounds quite good. Is there any list that presents it on the wiki?

> Of course this approach doesn't necessarily help humanitarian organisations
> with the efforts on the ground, they use descriptions and codes that are on
> the whole alien to OSM. Mapping from OSM tags to other data exchange formats
> is needed and important but it doesn't need to be done by mappers, and nor
> do I think it should be. Leave abstraction to those that can best manage the
> data, by all means discuss tags here but keep it to the conventional tagging
> format within OSM and don't try to solve the wider issues.
Yes, we should do what we can do best: mapping with simple tags. It
might be useful that HOT offers help for interexchange but as you said:
If it's logical it's not a problem. So for now the problem seems to be
to bring this informations to the OSM mapping commuinity, to make sure
our side uses a single scheme.

Matthias