[HOT] OSM: DigitalGlobe

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Wed Mar 16 09:21:22 GMT 2011

Hi Martin,

I've checked DigitalGlobe imagery with GPS tracks in one town
(Kesennuma) and it seemed fairly well aligned (better than existing
data, like a river import, for example).

Also the coastline may have changed very recently. Japan is supposed to
have moved globally by 2.4 m. The shore itself has lowered by 75 cm in
Fukushima and Iwate Prefectures. And, beside this, I've seen discussion
about its quality in OSM. So I would not rely too much on it for
referencing imagery.

In the alternative you propose, my guess is that "the existing data is
pretty inaccurate" (rather than "the images are misplaced in many
different ways"). :)

Bing coverage for Japan is described by links in the wiki. It now even
includes post-disaster images (sometimes from Digital Globe, and faster
to get than through Digital Globe WMS).

Best,

Jean-Guilhem