[HOT] japan - Any hints on use of OSM by rescue teams?

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Fri Mar 18 16:16:27 GMT 2011

Hi,

I don't know about "local" rescue teams, but there are indications that
OSM is used by international rescue teams (combined with other sources,
of course).

- An atlas (413 pages), made available to US Fairfax Urban Search And
Rescue team, uses OSM:
http://www.floodmaps.net/eftp/files/415884399_USAR_Sendai_1k_Atlas.pdf

- SERTIT Rapid Mapping Service uses OSM for some of its maps (used at
least by French rescue team). For example:
http://sertit.u-strasbg.fr/SITE_RMS/2011/05_rms_japan_2011/mid/SERTIT_CHARTER359_P17_japan_sendai_airport_7k5_A1_20110315_en_midres.jpg

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem

Le 18/03/2011 14:05, Hans van Wijk a écrit :
> Good question! I like to know that too!
>
> Verzonden vanaf Samsung Mobile
>
> Matthias Meißer <digi_c at arcor.de> schreef:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> somebody asked me if we have any proof that OSM is used by local rescue
>> teams. Even if I dislike that somewhat policitcal questions ('I map only
>> if it I know it's useful') it would be interesting esp. for me as
>> somebody related to presswork.
>>
>> regards
>> Matthias

pgp 0x5939EAE2