[HOT] japan - Any hints on use of OSM by rescue teams?

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Fri Mar 18 17:19:13 GMT 2011

There is a team at NASA supporting the US FEMA Urban Search and Rescue California Task Force 2 which deployed as early as the 11th and they included offline OSM maps for those responders as they deployed, both tiles to load into Google Earth offline [1] and for Garmin units. I set up a separate server for them to seed the caches from each time they were updated to remove the load off the main tileserver (This turned out to have an unintended benefit because it revealed that the lastest Mapnik rendering code was *much* faster as generating tiles for Japan, and so yesterday the main OSM tileserver was upgraded to Mapnik trunk)

The NASA crew said that the teams in the field where very pleased with the support, which was bundled alongside a variety of other google products as well.

More details here: http://disastercam.blogspot.com

Dane

[1] https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g8sS4wJYIq4/TXzngGDJaDI/AAAAAAAACWs/UsyI3L7YHLY/s1600/sendaiScreenShot.png