[HOT] japan - Any hints on use of OSM by rescue teams?

Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de
Fri Mar 18 17:34:39 GMT 2011

On 03/18/2011 01:43 PM, Matthias Meißer wrote:

> somebody asked me if we have any proof that OSM is used by local rescue
> teams.

I'm a rescue dog handler in the Emergency Response Unit of the German
Red Cross of Bavaria. I build a worldwide garmin map regularly for our
teams. In the case of an alarm I just have to cut out the needed map
tiles and bundle them in a gmapsupp.img. The Japanse Red Cross didn't
make a request for our ERU, but we'll probably use it next time.

I know many colleagues who use an OSM map on garmin units when on SAR
missions here in Germany. This is how my whole project of making a OSM
topo map for garmins started
(http://www.kleineisel.de/blogs/index.php/osmmap/).