[HOT] HOT governance tasks, please read!

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 02:30:44 GMT 2011

Hi everyone

Just checking in on Governance stuff. We have a little over a week (December 7) for confirmation and nominations.

Membership Confirmation: thanks we got replies from the majority of folks! I'll be pinging the remaining today, for the last time direct reminder before December 7.

Membership Nomination: we got a few! but could use some more ... what about folks who responded over the last year in Japan and New Zealand?
Board Nominations: none!! what skills and connections does HOT to fill out the Board?

Bylaws: Some good discussion on beneficiary ... any more ideas? What about the rest of the document?

Thanks for paying attention!
Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

>________________________________

number of tasks on hand. It’s time for another round of membership
nominations. We are past due to have a Board election. And we have
updates to our Bylaws. We need to complete all these things on an
relatively quick schedule, as we are working to complete 501(3)c filing
for HOT by the end of the year.

>So, please, read through this email carefully, and please act where requested. Any questions or concerns, fire away. Thanks!
>
>* Membership
>
>First for all current members need to confirm continued membership. Do you
wish to continue to be a member of HOT?  Some individuals have been more active than others and we understand if you don’t have the time.

>The current membership list is posted to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Members
>
>To confirm your membership, please fill out this brief form.
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGJzRjBVb25LRzI1OFVseC1kOWNIamc6MQ
>
>Please confirm your membership by end of day, December 7.
>
>* Member Nominations
>
>HOT membership works similarly to Apache. New members are invited by
current members. The nominations are published, and if there are no
objections, the new members are accepted.

>Nominated members before have come from all sorts of places, those who have
worked with us in the field, remote volunteers that have really made a
difference in responses and partners that have really helped.

>Nominations can be made in the form below. If you’d like to be nominated, don’t
hesitate to contact HOT members individually to discuss.

>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFNsWG1EdTRfWGR3aVJudWdIUnRiSFE6MQ
>
>Please make nominations by end of day, December 7.
>
>* Elections
>
>We are past due to have a Board election. Four of the Board are up for
re-election (Nicolas Chavent, Kate Chapman, Dane Springmeyer, Mikel
Maron). And the Board has decided to expand to seven total, meaning we
have 6 seats to fill this election. Having a Board with a diversity of
skills will help further the organization.

>Nominations can be made on this wiki page:
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Board_Elections
>
>Nominations will be open until end of day, December 7.
>
>We’ll have the election the following week, with completion by December 14.
>
>* Bylaws
>
>For HOT’s 501(c)3 application, we need to update our bylaws. There is
nothing substanitally new from the current bylaws (excepting one thing); they’ve only been made to conform to legal language.

>Please review, and let’s discuss anything of concern on list. The one thing we do need to decide is which organization would receive HOT’s assets in
the event of dissolution. This must be an existing US 501(c)3. One
suggestion so far has been the EFF, but this hasn’t progressed past the
idea stage. So, suggestions welcome.

>The Bylaws are posted to:
>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/U.S._Bylaws#Proposed_Bylaws_for_HOT.2C_Dec_2011
>
>We’ll include approval of the bylaws with the election, by December 14. It
will take a majority of members to accept the new bylaws.

>* That’s it
>
>Thanks for reading through all of this and for helping get HOT through the
governance rigamarol. If anything doesn’t make sense here, just ask.