[HOT] HOT's Mission

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:49:03 BST 2011

well, as I understood HOT was to help people out. Sometimes you need to
develop software on the way, but not as the primary goal.
I develop tools to do things when I am working on hard problems, but these
tools are to serve the purpose and they are not the goal, but just that, a
tool.
So, I understood HOT as having the end goal of improving the maps to improve
peoples lives.

If you ask me if building another Ushandhi is inside the scope, I would say
no, it should be its own project, but to scratch together tools to help
massage data, I would say yes that is part of the process.
mike

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> So when we incorporated HOT as an official entity the mission
> statement was "Using OpenStreetMap for Disaster Response and Economic
> Development."
>
> We've also recently talked about the difference between activations
> and projects as well.  Meaning that activations are in response to an
> event and projects are longer term work in preparedness or rebuilding
> for examples.  (Indonesia and Haiti being examples of this)
>
> Sometimes other projects are suggested more in the realm of
> development projects.  I don't think there is an argument that having
> better maps in developing areas can help people, but is this within
> the scope of HOT?  Is it within the realm of what HOT wants to do or
> is that "mission creep"?
>
> Some of us on the board have discussed this, but really it is
> something that should come from the HOT membership and community.
>
> Anyway, we are interested in obtaining some feedback and having a
> discussion through the mailing list.  I will also put it on the agenda
> for the next HOT chat.
>
> Best,
>
> -Kate

James Michael DuPont