[HOT] Re : Mali

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 4 02:59:22 BST 2012

The populated places described in UNOCHA COD Datasets are now added to the Mali Interactive Map (Openlayers API).
http://pierzen.dev.openstreetmap.org/hot/openlayers/mali.php

We simply click on orange markers to see description of a locality.  I will compare this information with what is already in the Database and import missing localities into OSM Database.

Adding these localities will facilitate Nominatim Searches.

Pierre

>________________________________
> Nate Smith wrote on April 2 2012 12h09
>
>Agreed, and we've been having conversations here as well and are just getting some activities off the ground at Development Seed and MapBox. We've started repo tracking some of the tracing work we finished up last week: https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Sahel-Priorities. These don't encapsulate every place in need but hit the major places of entry for aid organizations, trade routes, refugee areas, or significant cities. The Bing imagery is only good enough for tracing in the capital cities, which we worked on last week.
>

>The major OSM needs I see in the region are roads and populated places, and imagery. We've started a wiki page tracking the priority places that could benefit from better imagery: https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Sahel-Imagery-Needs. I have been talking with Kate and Robert Soden about using various mechanisms to get imagery and possibly partner with HOT to do some tracing efforts. So if imagery comes through, there would be a lot of work to do.
>

>It would be great to do some imports of key reference data for the region. This is something that we can help with and we're looking to see what else we can add. Feel free to jump into the repo to track issues and priorities: https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/.
>

>Nate
>

>2012/4/2 Pierre Béland <infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr>
>

>>Hi Nicolas,
>>

>>Some pre-activation work can be done.

In the north of Mali, there is actually very little
information that has been mapped. I think that we can map locally
without creating to much conflict with the server when it will come
back.

>>In JOSM, we cannot import presently from
nhttp://api.openstreetmap.org/api server. But it is possible to use an
other server. I tested this morning, and I was able to import in JOSM
from http://api.openstreetmap.fr/api.

We can browse a map of Mali  at http://pierzen.dev.openstreetmap.org/hot/openlayers/mali.php.
>>I includes OSM, Bing and Google Base Layers.
>>
>>Pierre

>>> De : nicolas chavent <nicolas.chavent at gmail.com>
>>>À : hot <hot at openstreetmap.org>
>>>Envoyé le : Lundi 2 avril 2012 8h07
>>>Objet : [HOT] Mali
>>>

>>>Hey all,
>>>
>>>Greets from Haiti where I'll
 still be until the end of this week on this mapping project in Saint Marc (Haiti). The situation in Mali is evolving rapidly as one can see from the News and from reports on UNOCHA Relief web Mali. We got there a coup, de facto a secession of the Northern part of the country with large displacement issues, the last two events developing on an already bad situation in terms of food security in the overall African Sahel. I'll have a call tonight with one Information Management person from OCHA to get further details there. I'll try to get  ahold on reference gis data additional to what is already listed in the OCHA Core Operational Dataset (COD) registry for Mali. Minimally improving upon baseline data for major cities quoties in the above report shall be of help for responders already active in those areas. I'll revert to the list with further details from the call. And leave us guys deciding if moving forward, how and how to best handle this complex
 emergency where conflicts and food crisis are mixed