[HOT] Re : Mali

Nate Smith nateasmith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:09:28 BST 2012

Nicolas, Pierre -

Agreed, and we've been having conversations here as well and are just
getting some activities off the ground at Development Seed and MapBox.
We've started repo tracking some of the tracing work we finished up last
week: https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Sahel-Priorities. These don't
encapsulate every place in need but hit the major places of entry for aid
organizations, trade routes, refugee areas, or significant cities. The Bing
imagery is only good enough for tracing in the capital cities, which we
worked on last week.

The major OSM needs I see in the region are roads and populated places, and
imagery. We've started a wiki page tracking the priority places that could
benefit from better imagery:
https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Sahel-Imagery-Needs. I have been
talking with Kate and Robert Soden about using various mechanisms to get
imagery and possibly partner with HOT to do some tracing efforts. So if
imagery comes through, there would be a lot of work to do.

It would be great to do some imports of key reference data for the region.
This is something that we can help with and we're looking to see what else
we can add. Feel free to jump into the repo to track issues and priorities:
https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/.

Nate