[HOT] Re : Mali

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Wed Apr 4 04:25:02 BST 2012

 Hi there,

Would someone know if the World Bank's Africa Infrastructure Country
Diagnostic study from 3-4 years ago has been imported to OSM (or has anyone
even looked into it in more detail)?
The license is not defined, i.e. not permissive to OSM as is but in case
there's anything worthy I can ping the people who did the study to see if
at least Mali could be added to OSM -- and I realize should do this in any
case;
at least a last year there were some countries for which these data chunks
had data that wasn't in OSM yet.

The links worth looking for Mali are:
http://www.infrastructureafrica.org/library/doc/581/mali-roads
or directly for the shp
http://www.infrastructureafrica.org/system/files/MLI_Roads.zip

I didn't have enough uninterrupted time to set up my own QGIS instance
(with OSM background map) so I can't check this myself right now.

I have the other countries shape files on my computer and can easily share
them with anyone who wants as a Dropbox share -- downloading all of these
takes a little bit of time (one by one from the web pages).
Only the roads and possibly the power plants are potential data to be
imported to OSM. The power lines are just (more or less) straight lines
between cities.

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--