[HOT] Including natural hazards in the HOSM data model?

Stéphane Henriod s at henriod.info
Wed Apr 4 18:35:37 BST 2012

Hi Kate,

I am browsing through inasafe website and it seems indeed pretty
interesting and relevant for the issues I raised in my first email.

However, I believe that it is complementary rather than conflicting: what I
would aim at is the possibility to collect hazard data in an OSM-compliant
format that could, in turn, be used for risk analysis, for example with
InaSAFE.

I see your point that hazard data (flood-prone areas, recurrent landslides,
seismic zones...) might need to be located out of the main OSM DB, but I
would be interested to read whether this opinion is mostly shared by other
HOT members? What I mean is: is the hazard data really less relevant to the
humanitarian and to the overall communities than the blocked roads, the
IDPs locations or the Search and Rescue zones? IMHO, they would fall in the
same category, so either everything in the main OSM DB, or everything out
of it. Does that sound silly?

Thanks a lot for replying to me, and looking forward to engage the
discussion with any other member that would feel interested!

Stéphane
--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info

Skype: [image: Skype name: marmotte_la_gueuse]
Tajik mobile phone: +992 934 62 46 62