[HOT] Including natural hazards in the HOSM data model?

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Apr 4 19:18:58 BST 2012

Hi Stéphane,

The issue I see is more that it will depend on the type of hazard data.
 OpenStreetMap is usually used to map things that are visible on the
ground.  I see it being difficult for some types of hazards to be collected
by the average person (not to say for some types it isn't easier).  I'm not
saying it is less relevant to humanitarian actors, I'm saying that it
perhaps is better in another store and to be compared with OpenStreetMap
data.

People combine data with OSM data all the time.  Everything isn't either an
in or out proposition.  I think it is important to have relevant and
updatable information in OSM and be able to utilize it with other
information that might be less practical for us to collect.

-Kate