[HOT] Crisis Mapping Survey

Michael Fisher mpfcga99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 02:11:37 BST 2012

Mapping Community,

I am currently conducting research on the ability of volunteer crisis
mapping networks to provide timely warning of humanitarian crisis as well
as useful information for the allocation of U.S. government response
resources.

I am conducting this research as part of my thesis research as a master’s
student at the National Intelligence University (http://www.ni-u.edu/) in
Washington, DC.

As a Coast Guard Officer, I was involved in the earliest stages of the
response to the earthquake in Haiti.  From this experience, I understood
that the U.S. government needed to better understand the ability of sources
of information outside of the intelligence community to better inform
disaster response operations.

Post-Haiti, I was introduced to the work conducted by crisis mapping
networks and decided to focus my research on how these volunteer networks
are structured and function.

Whether you have assisted in one, or a multiple of crisis mapping
deployments, your participation in this survey will greatly assist my
research efforts.

There are two surveys.

The Crisis Mapper Leadership Survey is designed for those who have helped
organize and mobilize others to assist as crisis mappers or who serve as
leaders in crisis mapping organizations or who use crisis mapping tools.

The Crisis Mapper survey is designed for anyone who has worked as a crisis
mapper.

The Crisis Mapper survey should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

The Crisis Mapper Leadership survey should take 15 to 20 minutes to
complete.

All responses are anonymous unless the responder wishes to provide contact
information for future follow-up.

Here are the links to the surveys:

Crisis Mapping Leadership:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CrisisMapperLeaders