[HOT] Mapping Bogor

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 18:35:55 BST 2012

I  invite list members to help with the tracing of Bogor, Indonesia, just
60 km south of Jakarta.

http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/31

Your help is greatly appreciated.We are preparing a series of walking-paper
trips into area communities to collect street level information and to
perform a needs assessment.

One of our goals is to identify greenfield locations within residential
areas. The preservation of greenfields for parks and community gardens is
laudable in itself, but could be considered strategic for  long term plans
to improve the quality of life here in Indonesia. On the one hand, open
space is very important, and on the other hand, installation of residential
water tanks, municipal buildings, and sewer facilities requires land near
or within residential areas. When you look at the map you can see just how
densely populated the residential areas are, and why preservation of
greenfields for public service use could be key to long term improvements.
 Jakarta has very little open space remaining, and the speed of development
in Bogor is only increasing while municipal infrastructure services are,
for the most part, standing still.

Any and all help with the identification of greenfields near residential
areas is most appreciated, along with the usual tracing of roads,
commercial area buildings, and building complexes that can serve as place
markers. For many of the area residents the maps we are issuing for walking
papers are the first map they have ever seen of the area, and the building
outlines are the most common means used to make sense of the maps.

We are in contact with additional NGOs in the area seeking collaborators,
and, in conversation, finding that these organizations are just as
flummoxed by the total lack of an accurate street map.  Everyone needs
maps, right? A place without a map! Well, the folks on this list know that
is much too common a case, still, and we appreciate any and all help you
may provide in remedying the situation for this area of 5 million people.

Thank you for all your contributions!

Alex Rollin
-Bogor, Indonesia
-http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/31
-http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Alex%20Rollin @100,000 changes on the
Bogor Area map (and still learning)
-Manager, PT. Commons Indonesia - Developing common pool resources in
Indonesia
-http://www.commoning.com : social enterprise models applied to public
infrastructure services
-my motto - open license for everything