[HOT] Upcoming nominations & HOT's online presence?

Heather Leson hleson at ushahidi.com
Sat Dec 15 14:17:58 GMT 2012

Happy Weekend,

Since I may be unknown to some of of you, I wanted to share with you some
reasons why I am proposing to join the HOT board, pending HOT acceptance as
a member.

While am not an active OSM or HOT member, I am an active end-user and
advocate. Every week I talk with mappers who say they can't use OSM as a
base layer because the map is not populated. I want to help fundraise, do
outreach and do matchmaking for these types of projects which include many
civil society groups.

Really, I am asking to be a more vocal supporter of your amazing work. If
you have any  any questions, please do ask here or in private.

Some more details on my
blog.<http://textontechs.com/2012/12/hot-membership-and-board-proposal/>

Thank you,

Heather

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:

> Hey Joseph,
>
> I think in the past we have posted information through at least some of
> these communication channels. It would probably benefit us to do that, so
> people are more aware of the HOT structure and process.
>
> I am not sure about the timing now since the nominations are about to
> close. Perhaps we do a blog post welcoming the new members when that
> happens? Then we would also announce the new board after the election as
> well.
>
> Best,
>
> Kate
> On Dec 7, 2012 2:30 AM, "Joseph Reeves" <iknowjoseph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I guess that with nominations closing shortly this might be too late to
>> suggest, but is it worth highlighting the membership nominations on the HOT
>> website, Twitter, Facebook?
>>
>> I wonder if we may have people engaging with HOT through those means that
>> haven't signed up for the mailing list yet. I'm thinking particularly of
>> those people that might procrastinate about getting involved, or those that
>> don't deal well with mailing lists, but are fine with the new social media.
>>
>> The website at least seems like a potentially good place to publicise the
>> nominations through the Get Involved page. Facebook and Twitter could then
>> be used, if for nothing else, to drive visitors to that page.
>>
>> I suppose it gets to a bigger query: to what extent is the HOT website,
>> Twitter & Facebook intended to be used by members and potential members?
>>
>> Cheers, Joseph

Heather Leson
Director of Community Engagement
*Ushahidi*