[HOT] mapping for HOT

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Sat Dec 15 14:42:26 GMT 2012

Hi Norman,

There are numerous uses for OSM data in the field / developing countries /
humanitarian action. .. While I don't have a complete list for you I'll
note the usage that is closest to me: OSM in Haiti is the only good
available integrated geodata set. The OSM-based maps are _by far_ the best
maps of Haiti, the data provides the only way to get sufficiently reliable
(turn-by-turn) driving directions (=routing) in the country -- and all over
the country, the converted shapefiles are used by practically "everybody"
in a way or another, etc.

This would have not been possible without the massive response to the earth
quake of 2010 by the then OSM humanitarian community, from which HOT (the
organization) emerged during the response.

I personally feel that contributing to HOT activities is the easiest
tangible -- and possible in the quite topmost effectiveness tier -- in
contributing to humanitarian / international development action (on an
individual level).

Cheers from sunny Haiti,
-Jaakko
http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh