[HOT] [CrisisMappers] odbl non-agreement and humanitarian exceptions.

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Thu Feb 2 16:24:46 GMT 2012

(Added talk-ht at osm as that might well reach some ppl involved that the other lists don't.)

Having bn part of the below-mentioned #OSM IRC discussion (finally using irc after 15 years of avoiding, ayii!) Here's my 2 cents:

The OSM Haiti data's v1 odbl complient edit rates for nodes and ways are 68% and 54%, respectively. v1+last edit comopliency rates are 89 and 95%, respectively.

These figures r for data of the whole island and the losses in DR are _significantly_ higher. That will have a partial impact on e.g. Local OpenGeo-related economic activity, which has a direct link with local sustainable hunanitarian activities and all data activity on the Haitian side.

In any case the direct impact is -- in my guesstimate -- to at least a quarter of Haiti data. And the viability of OSM will take a clear hit because of this. And that impacts humanitarian use without a doubt. Unless there's a renewed interest to help remap Haiti from the community -- or(/and) the data damage is limited in some ways.

The thing is that we (in and currently actively involved with Haiti mapping) are limited in capacity to do more advanced data loss mitigation and I think also the capacity to remap is limited in a number of ways.

So, having heard that some gave and got a special right to allow retaining his data in OSM for a given bbox _in the U.S._ I don't see why we wouldn't try that in Haiti as well as other humanitarian operations areas.

With best regards from Haiti,
-Jaakko
http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh

Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel
--
Mobile: +509-37-26 91 54, Skype/GoogleTalk: jhelleranta