[HOT] Recommendations for cheap "passive GPS trackers" / vehicle mountable GPS loggers?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Mon Feb 13 19:12:37 GMT 2012

Hi there,

There was a thread a while ago on GPS loggers but I'd have a slightly modified question on the same field:

Could someone recommend essentially GPS logger solutions that would be temporarily installed in vehicles for gathering information for preferrably a week, two or even three for every 1-2 meters the vehicle drives.

In my vocabulary (working with active tracking systems) this would be a "passive tracking system", which I don't know details for.

The idea is/would be to find cars that are driving actively around Haiti or/and the capital area and record their tracks into GPS traces so we could verify the road network.
A standard GPS logger with a power source (I already have a stack of 12V usb power sources) might work but option for external GPS antenna would be a plus.

My quickish searching didn't return any concrete cases for mapping use. Tracking yes but I'd love to hear of any experience for mapping purposes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
-Jaakko
http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh
Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel
--
Mobile: +509-37-26 91 54, Skype/GoogleTalk: jhelleranta