[HOT] Recommendations for cheap "passive GPS trackers" / vehicle mountable GPS loggers?

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Tue Feb 14 12:30:43 GMT 2012

Hello!

In the thread mentioned, I have recommended the Wintec WBT202 logger.
It is as small device (slightly bigger than a matchbox) and is
equipped with an UBLOX-5 chip (the best one around IMHO) and an
SD-drive with a 2 GB card that can store a few millon trackpoints.
There is also a motion sensor to stop tracking if the car is standing
still, but it is not reliable, don't use! The tracker can be
configured to take waypoints every x seconds, or after a change of
angle or after a certain amount of distance change.

The builtin battery lasts about one day, but it takes external power
via an usb-plug (5V). I have made many measures just putting it
underneath the front window, and the results are brilliant.

The software generates all kinds of track files, amongst them GPX and
KML.

This seems to be a cheap (€109.-) and simple solution.

Yesterday (Monday, February 13, 2012) Jaakko Helleranta.com commented:

--
Best regards,
   Boris