[HOT] Recommendations for cheap "passive GPS trackers" / vehicle mountable GPS loggers?

Guttorm Flatabø post at guttormflatabo.com
Tue Feb 21 06:18:32 GMT 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Jaakko Helleranta.com <
jaakko at helleranta.com> wrote:

> Could someone recommend essentially GPS logger solutions that would be
> temporarily installed in vehicles for gathering information for preferrably
> a week, two or even three for every 1-2 meters the vehicle drives.

Some time ago I bought the cheapest logger available on Dealextreme:
at 26 USD worldwide, incl. shipping.

I just downloaded the track I've gathered. It is one track with 127 734
nodes, which seems to have been collected over about 7 days. The resolution
is more like 5 meters than 1-2 (but probably time based), but when you have
several tracks for the same way that's ok. I am not sure if it stopped
collecting when it was full, or started overwriting the beginning, probably
stopped. The track was easy to retrieve with gpsbabel:

Accuracy of the points seem to be normal, but no HDOP information is

It has a battery to store last satellite scan, so as to retrieve location
faster on next start, but needs power continuously to operate, 12V car
adapter is included.

> The idea is/would be to find cars that are driving actively around Haiti
> or/and the capital area and record their tracks into GPS traces so we could
> verify the road network.

The advantage of the one on Dealextreme is the price. Apart from that,
there's not much that can go wrong I suppose. But as for accuracy it is
probably not among the best.

Guttorm Flatabø