[HOT] Updating the Humanitarian Data Model?

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Feb 28 03:52:17 GMT 2012

Hey Chris,

I think there is really a need to update the wiki pages about the
Humanitarian Data Model.  Other organizations currently ask if there
is a plan to maintain it and how it will develop.  In its current
state I think it is just going to be too difficult. There has not been
much discussion openly of the HDM.  Most of the original development
occurred initially after the earthquake in Haiti, so a more thorough
look could be taken to match it more closely with existing OSM tags
and methods.

I think the best move would be to have sets of thematic tags, but to
keep it simple.  For example in Indonesia we have building tags for
impact modeling.  They are pretty straightforward and use a
combination of tags that already exist in OSM and the couple that we
had to add that did not.

I think having some sort of version of Tag Watch or something similar
to show what is in use will allow more dynamic development as well. I
find there is a lot of disconnect between tag development on the
ground and the wider community.  This will likely lead to different
tagging conventions and difficulty in creating a more universal
dataset.

I think having a better way to record tags and turn them into presets
would be great.  Something easily human readable but parsable into
JOSM presets, OSM2PGSQL styles, etc

-Kate