[HOT] World bank + Google = Kachingg!!

Om Goeckermann om.imap at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:51:20 GMT 2012

On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:00 AM, hot-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:

> " We will continue to strive for all data being open and freely
> accessible and look forward to engaging with others and advancing the
> broader conversation to make development more effective and inclusive."

Firstly, it's the World Bank. Their track record is running *somewhat* behind their own claims of expertise.

Secondly, if that paragraph had any weight, there is a robust community waiting and a bevy of well developed applications that could truly enable map-preneurs in developing countries to make good use of their OWN data (even sell some of it to Google if they felt like it).

It's Google's terms I have issues with. Regardless, it is a menage a deux of oligarchy and monopolizing tactics.

IMO the whole thing reeks.

We will be out there regardless, spreading empowerment and sovereignty wherever we go...