[HOT] Feedback about smartphones use for OSM field surveys

Victor Ferreira victor.mota.ferreira at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 23:44:35 BST 2012

Hi,
one advantage of data loggers (i use Qstarz 1000 for recording tracks to
upload to OSM) is that they are very energy eficient, and they do not need
any other device for recording the tracks. My Qstarz easily goes on for 24h
recording (or that amount of hours, in diferent days), anf if not on, the
battery lasts for weeks without needing a recharge (very good in places
without power outlets!).
But some of them also provide the possibility of being used in realtime
with bluetooth (qstarz work well with linux and windows at least - android
and iphone i do not know...).
The acuracy of all this devices are from 3meters to 10 meters, dependin on
satellite configuration and obstacules (buildings or tree cover). After
testing the data loggers in diferent positions on the body, i found out
that the best results where when i used it hanging on my cap with a safety
pin (since it is very small, no one seems to notice the strange guy with a
gps hanging from his head hehe). It maximizes the exposure to the sky,
wherethe satellites are!

Any better you should really look at professional GPS and maybe some good
antenna.
Maybe you can find some second hand equipment?
Regards,
Victor Ferreira