[HOT] Feedback about smartphones use for OSM field surveys

Boris Cornet borisC at osm-at.org
Wed Jun 13 01:10:05 BST 2012

Hi!

As Victor said, there are huge advantages with external devices:
- power efficiency
- small size (and yes, it makes a lot of difference where you carry a
  GPS device, cap is best, shoulder is 2nd best)
- bluetooth works with any device that is bluetooth enabled on merely
  every OS since GPS loggers use a standard bluetooth protocol
  (RFComm) and send standardized data (NMEA-0183).
- the chipset matters a lot: lookout for UBlox 5 (best) or MTK 2
  (2nd best), beware of sirf3 (!!!)
- also the antenna matters: smartphones care for the phone antenna,
  the GPS antenna must stand back.

I use the Wintec WBT 202, and I can confirm that it is far better than
every smartphone I could test. The difference is not so obvious in
normal conditions, but when things get rough (e.g. badly positioned
satellites, high buildings, trees) the data collected by smartphones
is almost unusable, while the logger still produces reasonable
results.

Today (Tuesday, June 12, 2012) at 23:44 Victor Ferreira noted:

Bye Bye,
   Boris