[HOT] Budgeting and calculation

Stephane Goldstein s.n.g at gmx.com
Fri Jun 15 12:18:03 BST 2012

Hello Frans,

 So, as Kate said, expenses will depend on the size of the area you want to map.
 But the costs to map a given area will also depend on the species you want to map and how you plan to do it.

 How tiny are they ?
 Will you need traps ? Photo traps ?
 Will you need to do formation to your mappers on how to find and identify those species ?
 How much time it takes for a person to cover a determined area ?

 When it comes to map species, it's not possible to do an exaustive mapping, so you need to find the correct extrapolation model to calculate the actual population, based on your sample and how you got it. This model will mostly depend on the species itself and its ecological behaviour. Consulting the scientific literature about those species will help you to come up with the righ sampling method.

 Animal species are mobile, so you can't map them like points, it's really important to consider the right methods for sampling in order to get a population estimate inside a given area that is accurate.

 This are just my thoughts, maybe you had already figured this out.

 Stephane