[HOT] Re : New Bing Imagery in Mali and delimitation of riverbanks

Stéphane Henriod s at henriod.info
Sun Jun 24 20:10:40 BST 2012

Hi

I know I am bit insisting (and maybe I'm the only one interested in the
topic?) but what I don't like with the flood_prone = yes is that it is not
easily extensible to other types of hazards (landslides, rockfalls,
avalanches, cyclones...), that are of the highest relevance for many parts
of the world. Am I the only one here who thinks that we should rather try
to promote a model that allows for inclusion of other natural hazards?

This wiki page <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenHazardMap> is my
first effort towards this but I am 100% ready to re-think the whole if
someone has a better idea!

And to come back to the initial question, I guess that waterway=riverbank
must be used in almost everycase, to delineate the "normal" extent of the
rivers. Even in areas with huge fluctuations of the water levels, people
are clever enough to build infrastructure where there is *in general* no
water. flood_prone=yes (or any similar tag) should be reserved for extents
bigger than waterway=riverbank (and where, usually, you will find fields,
houses... that might be affected by the high waters).

Cheers,

Stéphane
--
"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux"
-- Albert Einstein

"A journey does not need reasons. Before long, it proves to be reason
enough in itself. One thinks that one is going to make a journey, yet soon
it is the journey that makes or unmakes you." -- Nicolas Bouvier

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info