[HOT] Recommendations for cheap "passive GPS trackers" / vehicle mountable GPS loggers?

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:39:08 GMT 2012

Hey all,

Just like to check with you if there are additional experiences with
loggers worth to take into consideration for inclusion in a hot hardware
kit to be deployed in projects.
Curious about how the first two devices compare to the kind of res you get
from garmin etrex legend hcx we have been mostly using in our work.

Thanks
Nico

2012/2/21 Guttorm Flatabø <post at guttormflatabo.com>

> 2012/2/21 Boris Cornet <borisC at osm-at.org>
>
>> > The advantage of the one on Dealextreme is the price. Apart from
>> > that, there's not much that can go wrong I suppose. But as for
>> > accuracy it is probably not among the best.
>>
>> It's really cheap. However, my experiences with cheap devices is, that
>> you can't rely on their results. One day, you get a good recording,
>> and the other day you get complete crap. They use cheap chipsets,
>> and - what's worse - cheap antennas.
>>

> I see. Which means that it should supply HDOP values for it to be possible
> to assess the quality of the track.
>

>> If satellite positions or sky view is suboptimal, they start recording
>> fantasy-coordinates. And you cannot tell the difference (you cross a
>> mountain, one one side the track is accurate, on the other side it has
>> up to a few hundred meters offset).
>>

> Must say though, that my track didn't have any points diverging anywhere
> near more than 50 m, but I haven't really tested it much.
>
> --
> Guttorm

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team