[HOT] Blog post about last weeks Camp Roberts/RELIEF Mapping

David Schmitt david at black.co.at
Thu May 31 22:03:38 BST 2012

On 2012-05-30 16:24, Stéphane Henriod wrote:
> Those are mines, would be happy to read if others have the same view:
>
>   * During the exercise came some questions about the typologies of
>     roads (residential vs. tracks vs. path...). During a real emergency
>     we would probably want to avoid wasting too much time on explaining
>     to newbies (like me) what tag relates to what real-world-feature
>     (and what it looks like on the satellite imagery). We also want to
>     minimize the amount of work for those who will validate. Ideally,
>     someone with field knowledge of the area to map (or with knowledge
>     of a similar area) should develop a "quick illustrated typology".
>     This would take the form of a simple table showing:
>       o The /key = tag/
>       o An example of what such a feature looks like on the satellite
>         imagery (because a "residential street" will not look the same
>         in a refugee camp in Eastern Africa, in downtown Miami or in a
>         rural area of Afghanistan)
>       o A picture of such a feature in the real world

It would be great to have tagging presets which can be loaded into josm
for each task. That would greatly reduce the number of decisions I have
to make as a contributor.

Also the task could point to an already validated tile (probably done by
the administrator of the task) to showcase the various features.

Best Regards, David