[HOT] Remote mapping tagging

Séverin MENARD severin.menard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:16:43 BST 2012

Hi,

I would like to add MHO on this tagging thread. I also support the
highway=path vs highway=footway tag, as the latter seems less generic, more
like a sub-type of higghway=path related to a pedestrian use (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway) set that seems
complicated to. It is even
based on imagery and most of time is never officially set in the field by a
specific sign as it is on the map features example.
But actually a lot of mappers use it as a default, and I would like to know
when they use highway=path.
This tag is also specified in the Tracing guide for Gula/Lira TM jobs (
http://hot.openstreetmap.org/sites/default/files/Tracing%20Guide.pdf). I
have some other comments regarding the tagging indcations:
- highway=track for both generic roads and dirt roads seems weird. I would
agree for a generic dirt roads but a generic road is generally tagged with
highway=road
- main artery tagged by default with highway=tertiary. Basic default
highway classification should be more =unclassified. Does =tertiary have
been chosen because it is rendered in a really more visible way than
=unclassified?
- leisure=common might be interesting but its status is still undefined (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Leisure%3Dcommon). Taginfo shows it is
used (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=leisure%3Dcommon) but it is
far (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=area%3Dyes) from the very
generic area=yes tag (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:area%3Dyes)
- for the natural cover, I would also add natural=scrub (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Scrub)
- think there is a typo for natural=treev

Sincerely,

Severin