[HOT] Senegal - Dakar Flooding Activation

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 7 02:50:45 BST 2012

I also agree with these propositions.

Highway=path seems preferable to higway=footway.

For flood hazards, Stephane propositions give the possibililty to take account of various hazards. The hazard_prone and hazard_type tags should replace the flood_prone=yes tag that is presently used.

Pierre

>________________________________
> De : nicolas chavent <nicolas.chavent at gmail.com>
>À : Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>
>Cc : william skora <skorasaurus at gmail.com>; hot at openstreetmap.org
>Envoyé le : Jeudi 6 septembre 2012 17h42
>Objet : Re: [HOT] Senegal - Dakar Flooding Activation
>
>Hey there-
>

>Back from Senegal a couple of days ago and will blog soon around the TechCamp, the flooding and the status of OSM there
>

>First thanks to all those who contributed to this response: the progresses of the map are important and your work had a strong impact down there
amongst the TechCamp participants as well as among GISers I met from the UN, Gov Agency, Academics and Techs. Furthermore it fostered the
remobilization of the nascent Senegalese OSM community by heating things up.

>A few point on this tagging thread.
>

>* highway values most likely to be used and fit for these areas of Dakar, I'd like to echo Will and others on residential, and strongly support Jaakko's views on path (vs footway) which seems well suited for the most narrow streets. I would
refrain when mapping remotely to use living_street which calls for
on-the-ground knowledge and de facto right of way between vehicle and
pedestrians. This is a tag to better explain/ portray and push to the
mappers down there. More generally, with Jaakko, Brian and Sev we feel a need to better articulate guide on using highway values below tertiary
in developing countries.

>* surface values: I would use from the imagery paved/unpaved, a great deal of unpaved roads in Pikine and Guediawaye are sand
>

>* On the squares/ piazzas, I feel like Harry and would refrain from tagging them leisure=pitch/ playground and/or parking since those uses are really changing over time in the course of the day.
Those usages also apply to a good deal of streets where as a kid, I
learned playing street soccer and hanged out for long hours in wedding/
funerals and later party. I would then stick to Harry's call: highway=pedestrian and area=yes + drawing roads (highway=residential) along the edges of the area

>* Flooding related tags. I like the work started by Stephane and think
that it would be worth taking advantage of this flooding to solidify and generate consensus on the tags
>In the mapping party we held in Dakar last Saturday, we pushed forward the following tags to map on the ground the worst hit areas in the view of
building a datasest of flood prone points.
>hazard_prone=yes
>hazard_type=flood
>2012:flood_height=
>2009:flood_height=
>2007:flood_height=
>We will be waiting for satellite imagery processing to get the various
extents (OCHA tasked UNOSAT to carry out such a work with imagery
requested through the Charter)