[HOT] Mali and Syria

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 02:06:11 GMT 2013

>One problem, especially with complex emergencies, is that Google Hangouts
are public unless you are using >Google Apps. That means that it would be
impossible to protect activists from surveillance.

Hi Tim,

At the moment I don't think this is going to be too much of an issue for
the Syria activation. OSM, by its very nature, relies upon the
contributions of identifiable users. At the moment we have a great deal of
tracing to do and we want to be getting more people involved with
this. There is nothing sensitive about this work: Both sides in the ongoing
conflict have enough geographic resources to keep fighting each other,
whereas we're providing mapping for external humanitarian relief. Of
course, if anyone feels that their contributions to OSM might put their
safety at risk, they should simply refrain from engaging in this activation.

Best, Joseph