[HOT] Activations : How to respond rapidly in context of incresing workload

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 13:40:33 GMT 2013

> Part of the solution would be to invite other groups to collaborate. My feeling is that there is not enough HOT contributors to support a rapid intervention for the current three Activations, not to count the others to come.

I somewhat disagree. There are thousands and thousands of active OSM mappers, most of them not engaged in HOT activations. We can quite easily reach out to them (summary post calling for mapping on OpenGeoData would do it). That doesn't mean we shouldn't reach out to other groups and collaborate, we definitely should, especially to bring on more local mappers. It just seems to me that numbers aren't the issue, but sufficient coordinators and coordination mechanisms, and that's going to require effort from folks who now OSM and HOT very well.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

>________________________________

humanitarian activations, we have to adapt to the increasing workload
and keep the capacity to respond rapidly.

>Part of the solution would be to invite other groups to collaborate. My
 feeling is that there is not enough HOT contributors to support a rapid
 intervention for the current three Activations, not to count the others
 to come. At the same time, I think that we have to look at how we
coordinate to be able to respond rapidly and
efficiently to support less experienced mappers, to follow mapping
progress. The coordinators cannot do all of that by themselves.

 think that in the context of these Activations, experienced members
should accept to take certain responsibilities, remove
 these from the coordinators shoulders. For example, there are various
tasks to be done such as road network validation and classification,
Populated places imports, Geolocation of various services. These tasks
have to be done by experimented contributors. And I dont think that it
is enough to list such tasks on the Wiki coordination page and wait for
people to eventually do the job.

>As the remote mapping is
concerned, other then training, we need to follow mapping progress, to
assure the quality of data and support contributors. I like the concept
of IRC chat, but I would like to have a system that has functionnality
similar to what Skype offers (ie. history of discussion, sound
notification). And we might need eventually a discussion list specific
to the activations.