[HOT] Advice tracing footprints with poor imagery in Kathmandu, Nepal

Ryan Sommerville ryan.sommerville at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:51:20 GMT 2013

Hi all,
     We're working on digitizing all building footprints in the Kathmandy
Valley. The current Bing imagery makes this a challenge in some areas,
especially densely packed neighborhoods.

If possible, we'll utilize an automatic extraction of footprints and are
working on this now along with specific validation of that extraction. This
will still leave many buildings untraced (especially in dense
neighborhoods) so we'll also need to manually trace many buildings. The
imagery sometimes shows a clear building boundary but often it is unclear.

Does anyone know of a methodology to accurately trace footprints using low
resolution imagery through a combination of mapping technique and
validation?

Is it possible to add to the Buildings_Tools plugin to tag traces which
will require field verification?

Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan