[HOT] Monday 5pm EST Re: brainstorm on membership, board, bylaws

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:14:27 GMT 2013

Just thinking of governance: I participate in the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF). They do not have membership, but operate by consensus
and a well-defined procedure for maintaining their steering body, the
Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG). The IESG has a lot of power,
but members' terms are two years, renewable. The different members have
different subject areas, but all final results are achieved by
consensus. This process of consensus extends to the operation of the
different working groups that tackle specific problems. I can give more
details if there is interest.

In any event, on the matter of consensus, a document has recently been
published by one of the IESG members. I haven't read it myself yet, but
it has garnered praise from other people. It is generally applicable,
though slanted toward the IETF. It is at

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus

Hope this is helpful.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454