[HOT] Mali Activation Follow-up

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:06:22 UTC 2013

Hello Kate,

My crowdsourcing web app is a prototype / proof of concept that went
too far :) I wrote it in literally 3 hours, plus some improvements
later (such as showing 2x2 tiles instead of only 1). It could use
loooots of work.

I'll upload the code to a public repository as soon as I decide a name
(repositories need a name!) and a license :)

--
Nicolás

2013/2/25, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>:
> Thanks Kate,
>
> Nicolas, this PovAddict on the HOT irc was the ideator and developper of
> this.
>
> He is now pushed by the events on the hot irc. People are very enthousiast
> about this and many name suggestions were made this morning. Other
> suggestions for the name are welcomed.
>
> And yes, it would be good to place the source in a repo with the possibility
> to add tickets. The tickets, they are live right now on the irc.
>

> Amazing!
>

> Pierre
>

>>________________________________
>> De : Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com>
>>À : Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
>>Cc : HOT Openstreetmap <hot at openstreetmap.org>
>>Envoyé le : Dimanche 24 février 2013 23h32
>>Objet : Re: [HOT] Mali Activation Follow-up
>>
>>Hi Pierre,
>>
>>The Crowdsourcing of Imagery application is cool. I have a couple
>>unrelated suggestions:
>>
>>1. Give it a name of some sort that is a little less generic. Since we
>>already do crowdsoucing of imagery. Maybe something like "Is there a
>>village?" (okay I'm terrible at naming things).
>>
>>2. Is there a repo somewhere for the source code? If so it would be
>>great if there is somewhere to log tickets. My initial request would
>>be a way to zoom in, depending on the size of the damn you are talking
>>about it is difficult to see at the current zoom.
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>-Kate
>>
>>On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>> Humanitarians are starting to access villages in north of Mali and we
>>> coordinate with them to support their activities.  HOT contributors are
>>> working on datafiles for various Public services, trying to geolocate
>>> these
>>> infrastructures.  We are working closely with OCHA coordinator in Bamako
>>> and
>>> started last week discussion with Clusters. The first discussion was with
>>> the WASH coordination Cluster for water and sanitation. We have exchange
>>> about our experiences geolocating various infrastructures and ways to
>>> improve coordinattion eand exchange of information.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow at 16:30 GMT a second discussion is scheduled with the Education
>>> Cluster on the irc   irc://irc.oftc.net/hot.
>>>
>>> In such a vast and complex territory to map, we have made substantial
>>> progress. But there is still a lot to do. Thanks to all of those who come
>>> on
>>> the irc, discuss and help in development of tools.
>>>
>>> Detecting villages in the vast and semi-desertic territory north of Mopti
>>> is
>>> still a priority. Nicolas Alvarez of HOT has proposed to use Crowsource
>>> of
>>> Imagery recognition for villages and dams and developped an application.
>>> While this is still experimental, it gives very interesting results.
>>> Pierre
>>> Giraud have adapted the Task Manager to accept Special micro-tasks
>>> defined
>>> from the result of this Crowdsource exercise. Instead of having
>>> contiguous
>>> micro-task tiles, we have tiles only where villages were detected.
>>>
>>> Others contributors are participate to the development on the irc
>>> irc://irc.oftc.net/hot proposing various ways to deal with imagery
>>> recognition.  People with some expertise in Spatial analysis in QGIS