[HOT] Add POI in a humanitarian context

Pierre Béland infosbelas-gps at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 18 19:00:23 GMT 2013

Several humanitarian activations are currently underway where the HOT members map remotely using satellite imagery. This work should be completed by people who know the field, beingin the country or abroad.

When we support humanitarian activations like in Congo and Mali, it would be interesting to be more reactive adding POI's, to have the capacity to ask people that know the country to complete the map by adding relevant POI's. However, before we call for help asking to add this information in the OSM database, we should be sure to provide a very user friendly API. Many new POI API's exist forsmarthphones. But we need something that can operate both with a computer or a phone.

It should be possible to adapt such API's to a humanitarian context. When a user clicks to add a POI, it would be interesting to present a short list including the most relevant POI in a humanitarian context (ie. schools, clinics, water points, government buildings, etc.).. A changeset comment could be added automatically to help trace these contributions.

I think this has been briefly discussed before. But I bring back the subject. What do you think of this? Could any API adapted easily? Are they any OpenSource propositions to meet this need ?

Pierre