[HOT] First Syria tasks on the Tasking Manager

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:59:31 GMT 2013

Dear all,

Thanks to everyone who responded to yesterday's news that we've begun our
Syria Activation - it was all very positive, which was great.

In order to keep up with the momentum that's around at the moment I've
created the first three jobs on the Tasking Manager:

Damascus: http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/153
Aleppo: http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/154
Homs: http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/155

All three areas are covered by Bing and have been traced in the past. Homs,
for example, has been subject to considerable work and will likely just
need some validating before we can call it finished.

It would be great if people could have a look at these tasks. Once they're
complete, or nearing completion, we can start to look at the other areas
highlighted by UN OCHA and SNAP.

Finally, I'd just like to respond quickly to the in country security
concerns raised yesterday both on and off the list. HOT currently has no
presence within Syria and we are not looking to build one at this time. The
current activation tasks, as requested by our partners, can be completed
out of country.

Whilst we have specifically tried to appeal to Arabic speakers, we have
done so because we will soon be in possession of a dataset that requires
georeferencing. Again, this can be completed out of country, but would
benefit from input from Arabic speakers.

Thanks again for the support so far,

All best, Joseph