[HOT] GISCorps mapping N Korea

Karen A Payne kpayne at itos.uga.edu
Thu Jan 31 15:05:55 GMT 2013

Hi Sam,

As the Project Advisor for this endeavor and I'd like to clarify a few things:

1. We are digitizing a set of scanned, georeferenced atlas pages - a set of 400 topographic sheets; there is no satellite imagery involved.  This is the lineage of the atlas:

                The originator was the Japanese Land Survey Ministry who conducted the initial surveying between 1937-1942 and published the Atlas in 1949.  The Atlas was revised (data supplement 1976 - 1979) by Soviet Joint Chiefs of Staff, in 1981. Original Russian text translated into Korean and English and replaced by MuongJi University and KyongIn Publishing Co, with support from the Dept. of Russian Language, Korea Foreign Studies University.

2. We are conducting this project at the request of WFP and iMMAP, who will own the data at the conclusion of the project.  They have said they will make this data, as well as the source data, available to the public through the GIST Data Repository<https://gistdata.itos.uga.edu/> here at ITOS at the conclusion of the project.

3. We wrote the protocol to generate data that is consistent with WFP and iMMAPs operational needs - it's a modified VMAP1 schema with solid topological relationships capturing the following features: roads (primary and secondary), tracks, trails, bridges, tunnels, railroads, named populated places, rivers, lakes, reservoirs, airports, runways, ports, a coastline, and administrative boundaries.  With the fine work of GIS Corps volunteers, team leaders and several layers of quality control I feel this will be an excellent contribution to the wider humanitarian community.

4. Unfortunately I wouldn't characterize us as "wrapping up the project." While it is true that we have nearly all of the sheets have been assigned for digitizing, at this point only 145 of the 400 sheets are complete, with other sheets in various stages of production.  We will also need time after the digitizing is complete for post processing and edgematching.  I can't give you a solid timeframe on that at this point.  You can check the project page<http://www.giscorps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=63> for progress updates.

I really can't thank the GIS Corps volunteers enough - they are a spectacular group of professionals and I am very grateful for their continued support of the project.

Best,

Karen
Dr. Karen Payne
Humanitarian Programs
Carl Vinson Institute of Government
skype: karenpayne1
https://gistdata.itos.uga.edu<https://gistdata.itos.uga.edu/>

1180 East Broad Street | Athens, GA 30602
Phone: 706-542-7766 | Fax: 706-542-6535
kpayne at itos.uga.edu<mailto:kpayne at itos.uga.edu>
www.vinsoninstitute.org<http://vinsoninstitute.org/>