[HOT] digitization of buildings

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Nov 12 16:08:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:01:37AM +0100, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> 2013/11/12 frmoine <frmoine at gmail.com>:
> > Let me remind you that building is unique ( base on roof color, shadow)  and
> > in most case it is either rectangular or square. So no trapeze or bizzare
> > form.
>
> I tried to map every building separately. It is sometimes hard to see.
>
> A tip: I draw the polygon of a building quite rough and use "Q" in
> JOSM to make a proper square. Learning the keyboard shortcuts for the
> most used functions really helps to speed up your mapping.

I did the above for a couple of years but the building plugin is waaay
faster ...

Using the building tool obsoletes using q as it draws a rectangular
building right from the beginning. For aligning the same buildings mark
one building and start drawing new ones on the same 90° Angle.

For complex buildings i sometimes draw 5-10 Rectangles above each other
and then join them via shift-j.

And have a look at the "create area" or "extrude" tool (x) - easy to move a wall a
little further.

JOSM has become a very powerful tool and it needs more documentations
or youtube "how to" videos :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zff5P-QdWIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEQo4Jm-aPY

Flo