[HOT] Translation sprint for LearnOSM into French in Dakar (Sénégal) with the support of Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 12:56:46 UTC 2013

Salam,

We are a team of 10 mappers from OSM Sénégal, Togo, Burkina Faso, Niger and
France (and or HOT) gathered in Dakar Sénégal. We started this morning
working for a week (26 Nov + 6 days) on finishing the translation from
English into French of LearnOSM (LO). This effort is supported by the
Direction de la Francophonie Numérique (DFN) de l'Organisation
Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF).

Since the LearnOSM project has been evolving with important/ on-going and
not yet finalized changes affecting both the overall structure by section
(Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced), the structure by chapter and the
content of the chapters. Those changes are also reflected on the structure
of the LearnOSM GitHub Repository which was not fully stable yet.

In this context we have decided to complete the translation of the LO
materials (version 1.0)  which are currently accessible through the
LearnOSM Website (Html page from GitHub) in the form of two series of
Google Documents :

English Learning
Guides<https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/wiki/English-Learning-Guides>

English Teaching
Guides<https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/wiki/English-Teaching-Guides>

We chose to use Google documents, as working documents for the flexibility
they allow us, and to contribute to the LearnOSM project the outcomes of
the translation into MarkDown documents organized within a GitHub
repository to remain within the spirit and practice of LearnOSM.

The translation will produce

- a serie of Google documents for Learning and Teaching guides

- a serie of associated Mark Down (draft) and images files organized in a
forked GH repository (https://github.com/learnosmfrteam/learnosm).

The Google docs will allow for immediately ready to use LO materials to
support OSM activities in French speaking countries by the end of 2013.

The MarkDown and Image files will work as reusable raw materials for
translating LO materials (version 2.0) once finalized through the LO GitHub
repository.

We already created a new wiki page on the LO github repo:

https://github.com/hotosm/learnosm/wiki/French-Learning-Guides

this page will be updated to reflect our daily progress.

By the end of this work, we will submit a series of Pull requests from the
gh-pages branch of our forked github repository (github user
learnosmfrteam) used during our translation sprint.

Link to our official github repository:
https://github.com/learnosmfrteam/learnosm

All our commits will be tagged as following: #LOF commit-description-message

Once this sprint will be over and this LearnOSM version 1 translated, we
look forward taking part in the on-going work around the next version of
LearnOSM and once finalized, getting it translated into French

>From Dakar,
For the OIF LearnOSM French translation team,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team