[HOT] Red Cross Tasks in Northern Haiti - newbie questions...

Pierre GIRAUD pierre.giraud at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:53:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM, tim <timothieb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I am a novice, more or less, and I was hoping to help on the tasks set up
> for Northern Haiti by Robert Banick.
>
> Firstly, when I select a task from the tasking manager and then choose
> either the editor iD or Potlatch, I do not see any bounding box representing
> the area I have selected in the tasking manager - is there a way to see
> this?

That's a really good question. I think we have a usability issue here.

This is unfortunately not possible in iD.
In potlatch however, you can import an .osm file as vector file to be
displayed on on top of the map. For this, in the tasking manager, you
can right-click on the ".osm" link to copy the link address. Then in
Potlatch, open the background menu, then click the "vector file"
button. You should then be able to paste the link you copied earlier
in the dedicated field.
This is not straight forward but should work.

For iD, it looks like it should be possible to do it with a GPX file.
The tasking manager should probably also support GPX export. Or maybe
iD should support .osm import.
You can still find ways to convert .osm to .gpx if you prefer to use iD.

> Secondly, is there a way to turn on and off the edit layer so one can
> see/review the underlying feature that has been traced (either by oneself or
> someone else).

I'm not sure I understand correctly. Can you elaborate?

But be careful, data may not be rendered depending on the map styling.
For example, crosswalk may not be visible on openstreetmap.org default
layer though they're in the OSM database.
So for the validation process, it's important to see the real vector data.

> FYI I am currently working via Chome or Linux platforms if that makes any
> difference.
>
> Thanks,
> TIm

Pierre